The Vrije Universiteit Brussel is accepting applications for Postdoctoral Positions in Colonial and Construction History in order to entice scholars to undertake full-time studies in Belgium. The application period for the academic year 2022-2023 is currently open.
Within this proposed dialogue between colonial history and construction history, the post-doctoral research project will investigate buildings, first, through the assembly of their constituent materials, a perspective that aligns with a recent call for new material histories of architecture and related ecologies, and, second, through the division of labor involved.
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel is a branch of the Universite Libre de Bruxelles, which was founded in 1834 by Pierre-Theodore Verhaegen, a Flemish-born Brussels lawyer. It is placed 201st in the Academic Ranking of World Universities. It provides a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
Why should you consider studying at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel? Vrije Universiteit Brussel is an international institution in the center of Europe, located in Brussels. VUB has contributed to a better society as an innovative, free-thinking, and critical-thinking university.
By June 30, 2022, applications must be received.
- University or Organization: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Department: Architectural Engineering or Faculty of Engineering
- Course Level: Postdoctoral
- Award: Salary
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic and International
- The award can be taken in Belgium
- All nationalities are eligible to participate.
- Courses or subjects that are eligible include a postdoctoral degree in Architectural Engineering, Architecture, or History.
- Criteria for Eligibility: Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered:
- Both Dutch and French are spoken fluently and passively. This is a legally binding requirement because it is required for archival research.
- .An interest in archive research
- Willingness to conduct (and preferred experience with) fieldwork in (Central) Africa
- Good editing skills, as evidenced by a writing sample: your best research material and a PhD chapter (in Dutch, French, or English)
- Teamwork abilities and social skills are important.
- Participation at international congresses is something you’re interested in.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: They must create an account and finish the application procedure through the university’s application portal.
- Documents to Support: Applicants must provide a curriculum vitae, a letter of motivation, and their highest degree.
- Admission Admissions requirements: Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree certificate with exceptional academic success.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must be able to communicate in English at a B2 level.
- The University will provide a 12-month contract for a 1 FTE assignment, with a projected start date of October 1, 2022.
- You’ll be paid according to one of the government’s pay scales.
- Full reimbursement for your home-to-work commute using public transportation, or compensation if you come by bike, according to VUB rules;
- Hospitalization insurance that is free of charge;
- VUB LRN provides you with the opportunity to shape your job content and learn on the job.
- Excellent sports and exercise facilities;
- Our campus restaurants serve delicious meals at reasonable costs.
- Work-life balance is prioritized in an open, family-friendly work atmosphere, which includes 35 days of paid vacation (based on a full-time contract).